FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS REGARDING LICENSES
Please take a moment to read all information on what type of licenses you will need to sell at The Market in 2017.
Each vendor will need to pay Birmingham City, Jefferson County, and Alabama state taxes.
Applicants are NOT REQUIRED to have licenses to apply to the Market, instead approved vendors must obtain their licenses BEFORE their first approved selling date at Pepper Place.
- The City of Birmingham has created a new license that is specific to The Market at Pepper Place. This license may only be used at the Market in 2017. It may not be used at any other venue or farmers market in the City of Birmingham.
- The license is called "Schedule 4545". This license will be available for approved applicants only. Approval letters will be emailed by March 3, 2017.
- Once your application is approved, you must go in person to City Hall for this license. It may not be obtained online.
- The cost of the license is $25. Additionally, a $150 tax deposit is required with the license fee. This tax deposit will be applied to your 2017 Pepper Place Market taxes at the end of the year.
- ALL APPROVED VENDORS MUST HAVE THIS LICENSE TO SELL AT THE MARKET AT PEPPER PLACE IN 2017.
- Should you have any questions while at City Hall, please ask for Vickey Miller.
- Along with city taxes, county and state taxes must be filed too.
- All vendors may file Jefferson County and Alabama state taxes online. Please note that these are two separate licenses, but you may apply for them both at the same time with one application. The one application you will use is submitted to Jefferson County.
- To apply for the two licenses needed to pay county and state taxes, please click here for the application.
- On page 1 of the application, please note the following:
Below "Check the taxes for which you are liable", you will need to check both Business License and Sales Tax.
At the bottom of the page, you will need to include " 174B and JCBL" in the Notes section. This will indicate that you are applying for both the Jefferson County license and Alabama state license.
- The cost of both licenses are due with the application. The Jefferson County license is $50, and the Alabama state license is $31.50. The total amount of $81.50 is due with the application.
- After submitting your application, Jefferson County will send your business the two licenses. When you receive your licenses, you will need to visit the Alabama Department of Revenue website to create an online account. Please click here to create your account.
- When you create your online account, you will need to add a locality to your account: Jefferson County.
- Please note that Jefferson County taxes are 2% and Alabama state taxes are 4%.
- County and state taxes must be filed monthly online.
- For all questions regarding the county and state licenses, please click here.