PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
- 2 cups chopped fresh figs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste, optional
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; stir onion in the hot oil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover saucepan, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and caramel-colored, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir figs into onion; cook and stir until figs begin to lose their shape and have softened into onion, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour balsamic vinegar into fig-onion mixture; cook until all the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, into fig-onion mixture until desired sweetness is reached.
- Serve warm or chilled, and enjoy!
NOTES: THIS SPREAD IS PERFECT ON CRACKERS OR SLICED BAGUETTE WITH CHEESE!