PRE HEAT OVEN TO 450*F
TOTAL TIME: ABOUT 1 HOUR, 15 MINUTES
- 4 cups ripe muscadines
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- For the mix:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Slip skins and put skins in one large pot and pulp in another. Bring pulp to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 5 minutes.
- Sieve to remove seeds. Meanwhile, add 1/2 cup water to skins and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Combine pulp and skins and cool. Fruit can be frozen at this point for future use, if needed.
- Add the mix ingredients to fruit and mix well.
- Next, add tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons butter, melted. Mix and pour into 9 inch unbaked pastry shell. Top with lattice crust.
- Bake at 450*F for 10 minutes, then 350*F for 30-40 minutes.