PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR
- 1/4 pounds salt pork, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 medium fresh onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups shelled fresh lady peas (about 4 lbs)
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- Accompaniment: rice
- Cut off and discard any skin from salt pork, then cut salt pork into 1/3-inch pieces. Cook in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of fat is rendered and porkk is golden and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer pork with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon fat from saucepan, then cook onion in fat oer moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in peas and water and simmer, uncovered, until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in scallions and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve peas over rice and sprinkle with salt pork.