PREHEAT OVEN TO 350*F
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS, 30 MINUTES
YIELD 16 BARS
- 1 1/2 cup sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced Alabama-grown strawberries, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large farm eggs, plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until fruit is softened and beginning to break down, 2 to 4 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, pulse confectioners' sugar, salt, and 1 cup flour in a food processor until combined, 4 to 5 times. Add butter, and pulse until a coarse meal forms, 10 to 12 times. Press mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until golden around edges, 16 to 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Puree rhubarb mixture in a food processor until very smooth, about 1 minute. Add eggs, egg yolks, zest, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar and process until smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. Add food coloring and 3 tablespoons flour and pulse just until smooth. Pour over crust.
- Bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill at least 2 hours or up to 1 day. Cut into squares.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries and enjoy!